It is common to explain the Vietnam War as a guerrilla war in which the US used conventional tactics. Furthermore, during the War, this was cited as a reason the US could not win the war. It is also common to say that the US never lost a battle, to whit the response was, true, but irrelevant. The truth is that the US won some battles and lost some battles. The use of conventional weapons sometimes meant a victory but frequently those weapons destroyed the villagers they were meant to protect.
* Green Berets bragged to a US doctor training them about the homes they burned in South Vietnam.
* US dropped defoliants on crops. It was meant to keep food from the Viet Cong but the villagers could not eat them either.
* Deaths of villagers angers them. ‘Things were fine before the Americans.'
The Communists, or Viet Cong
* Viet Cong, VC, a derogatory term coined by Diem. The National Liberation Front calls themselves, simply, the Front.
* Few Front members are communists. Even high ranking VC officials are not communists.